Dr. Williams, Montréal resident, has recently served as Strategic Development Director of Collective Community Services and as Operations and Fund Development Manager for DESTA Black Youth Network. Both positions supported programming and governance functions to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness.
Currently, Dr. Williams is an entrepreneur, managing Blacbiblio.com, Inc., a company she founded in 2006. Blacbiblio develops African-Canadian pedagogical materials for classrooms across the country.
As an historian and community educator, Dr. Williams is often consulted about the documented history of Montreal’s Blacks. Along with dozens of articles, Dr. Williams has authored two seminal books related to the history and demographics of Black residents in Quebec.
- Blacks in Montreal: 1628-1986 An Urban Demography
- The Road to Now: A History of Blacks in Montreal, a chronological study of Blacks on the island of Montreal.
Awards and recognition
- In 2016 Dr. Williams was recognized as one of the top 100 Accomplished Black Canadian Women in Canada
- Hommage pour la contribution à la préservation du patrimoine historique des communautés noires de Montréal, Bottin Magazine, Montréal, Québec. (2007)
- Historian of Renown, Centre R.I.R.E. et Ville de Québec (2003)
- Quebec Laureate, The Anne Greenup Prize: Le Prix québécois de la citoyenneté 2002, pour la lutte contre le racisme et la promotion de la participation civique (2002)
- History of the Book in Canada/Histoire du livre et de l’imprimé au Canada Ph.D. Fellowship, Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research and Faculty of Arts, McGill University (2002-2003)
- E.J. Josey Scholarship, Black Caucus of the American Library Association (2000-2001)
- Black History Month Honour, Featured on 1995-1996 Black History Month Calendar, Ville de Montréal, Table de concertation (1995)
- The Mathieu da Costa Award, Black Coalition of Quebec (1993)
Notable Board involvement
- Quebec Anglophone Heritage Network, Board member (3 years)
- Business and Professional Women of Montreal, Board Member (5 years)
- Black Studies Centre, Board Member (9 years)