Job Opportunity: Economic Research Analyst
The Community Economic Development and Employability Corporation (CEDEC) is the developer and leader of Collaborative Economic Development in Canada. CEDEC leverages community strengths, assets, and advantages to drive economic growth and development and produce tangible economic benefits for individuals, businesses, social enterprises and communities. Its Collaborative Economic Development Model draws on the combined and collaborative contributions of the Public, Private and Civil Society sectors to innovate in identifying and taking full advantage of economic development opportunities. One of the key enablers of CEDEC’s work is robust economic and market research.
CEDEC is looking to expand and diversify its team of economic researchers. Specifically, the organization is looking to hire an additional economic analyst.
- The position is intended for applicants with a Master’s degree in economics, with a minimum of two years of economic research experience.
- The position requires demonstrated expertise and experience in quantitative and qualitative economic research methods, measurement, data analytics, and data visualization.
The position provides a unique opportunity to inform the development and continuous improvement of a new and innovative form of economic development anchored in robust economic research and market analyses.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Review and synthesize relevant research reports, academic papers and government documents (policy briefs, papers, etc.).
- Access data from reliable regional, national, and international sources, such as Statistics Canada, Institut de la Statistique de Québec, OECD, Emploi Québec, etc.
- Design, build, manipulate and update CEDEC’s database of socio-demographic, economic and market indicators.
- Contribute to the design and conduct of primary data collection.
- Contribute to CEDEC’s impact evaluation research activities (design and conduct impact evaluation studies, primary data collection, data cleaning and manipulation, working data preparation, etc.).
Analysis & Interpretation
- Manipulate and analyze both macro and micro datasets.
- Assess key trends, patterns and developments in the data.
- Identify the data story, what it means and how it can contribute to CEDEC’s collaborative economic development work.
- Engage data and subject matter experts, academic researchers, industry leaders and government officials to access data, verify findings, understand patterns and trends, solve data analysis problems and challenges, and resolve questions.
- Draft reports on local and regional economic trends and topics and specific product and service markets.
- Draft slides for CEDEC presentations.
- Draft research proposals, grants, funding requests, and applications for data access.
Ideal candidate profile
- A Master’s degree in economics, with a demonstrated ability to apply economic theory, principles and models to new topics and data.
- A minimum of two years of professional experience in a related role as an economic researcher, (data) analyst, economist.
- Possess knowledge of economic development trends and economic policies from a provincial, national, and global perspective.
- A high level of numeracy, research, and analytical capabilities.
- Knowledge of applications of statistics, economic modelling, multivariate analysis, regression analysis, forecasting techniques, and economic impact evaluation.
- A high degree of computer proficiency (Office 365), and experience with Statistical packages.
- STATA is required; other computational software is an asset.
- The ability to write clear, concise, and useful economic reports for both economists and non-economists.
- The ability to provide executive support as required for meetings with government officials or business representatives, such as speeches, briefing notes, etc.
- Demonstrated proficiency in synthesizing complex concepts, key findings, and information from a variety of sources.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- The ability to work effectively across teams and disciplines to help advance organizational priorities using data insights.
- The ability to communicate effectively in English and French.
- The ability to focus on detail and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Be a good team player.
- An ability to undertake travel and work outside of core business hours as required.
- A willingness to become an expert in Collaborative Economic Development.
Interested applicants are required to send their application package to email@example.com:
- A curriculum vitae
- A motivation letter. Your letter should provide responses to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in the job?
- What are your relevant skills and qualifications?
- What will you bring to CEDEC?
- What do you expect/want to gain from this job?
- What is your level of proficiency in dealing with primary and/or secondary data?
- How do you define economic development?
- How you think economic development is related to community development?
- What evaluation criteria do you think should be relied on to fashion and support economic development interventions in community settings?
- A writing sample (in English and/or French).
- Examples include, but are not limited to, a Master’s thesis, a Master’s internship report, a published research paper, a manuscript.
Position Type: Economist Analyst
Job Status: Full time for the period ending March 31, 2023
Job Location: Negotiable
Application Deadline: We will begin reviewing applications after December 31, 2021.
CEDEC is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible workplace where every team member feels valued, respected, and supported and has the opportunity to reach their full potential.